Monday, August 1, 2011

A year of changes







It's been forever, I know!!!! I've been a little busy & I finally wanted to share what we've been doing. It all started last year with horrible eczema on my hands from harsh cleaning chemicals. I loved the Clorox & Simple Green but YIKES! my hands were hurting & looking all kinds of icky. The last thing I wanted was to go to the doctors & get a prescription. So I changed how I cleaned...




I made my own detergent & household cleaners!!!


Guess what? No more eczema!!!


I've scaled way back on traditional household cleaners & keep on making more cause I'm frugal. And the kids can use them. I don't worry so much about their safety, you know what I mean?


Well, this new knowledge lead me to do other things, crazy things......like bake our bread. I don't know about you, but once you can achieve product from yeast, nothing can hold me back!!! I make Homemade Granola Bars...no more store bought for us, thanks. AND......





I started to freeze fruits & learned how to can. I started growing our pantry & although I still have a ways to go ....I'll get there!! Didn't stop there though......




We started a garden!!!

These little buds are my new herbs peeking through. I'm thinking of learning to make tinctures with them...I make my own Vanilla Extract now too...doesn't seem that it would be that different. Although, we haven't produced anything from the garden yet....we've learned tons for new year...like how to catch Tomato Hornworms faster....those worms!!!! (shaking my fist) & perhaps adding composting to our list.





The last thing I've done is this.....


I've decided to use my dryer A LOT less! I've committed to line drying (for the time being). I actually enjoy it. It dries faster than the dryer....I'm curious as too what the power bill will be...hmmm.




It comes down to this....I like the learning involved with doing it myself. The feeling of a job well done. I don't want to be so dependant on stores or spending so much $$$ to get the same product I can make myself. Well this type of thinking has sent my brain into overdrive....what can I do next?? I have a list ....more homemade & possible solar (crazy, I know) :) :) :) :)

There are so many people & blogs & websites that have encouraged us & continue to do so. Thank you!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'd love to hear some specifics about your cleaners and recipes! We had a garden for the first time this year to, and it's been a lot of fun. We have a clothes line up at our cabin and I actually enjoy hanging the clothes up to dry. There is something strangely relaxing about it. Although the scenery and weather is much nicer there so I don't know if I would enjoy it as much here. Although I have bought a retractable clothes line for our yard, I just haven't used it yet.

Paul and Ines said...

we started with the retractable clothesline but it barely holds a load...so I have another one that goes into our umbrella holder...so far so good. I hear you about the scenery part...the good part about our line is speed....i boogie to get it down...it's so hot! i'll swap recipes anytime...I'm curious about your sourdough starter with that friendship bread...did you start it?

Sophia said...

That is so cool! My mom has started making some of her own chemicals to.

Jill said...

Yeah, you blogged! Fun stuff you've been doing! I think we all want your cleaner recipes! New post. :)